A mallet putter is a type of golf putter that has a larger and rounded head compared to a traditional blade putter. Some key features of mallet putters include:
- Head Design – The head is much larger, heavier and has a semi-circular or rounded shape. This provides stability and consistency while putting.
- Alignment – Mallet putters have lines, dots, circles or other markings on the top that help with alignment and aim. This aids in hitting straighter putts.
- Perimeter Weighting – Weight is distributed around the perimeter of the head. This increases the moment of inertia for added stability on off-center hits.
- Customizable Options – Many allow for adjustable weights and lie angles to customize feel and performance.
- Forgiving – The larger sweet spot and weight distribution make mallet putters more forgiving on mis-hits.
- Stability – The design keeps the putter stable throughout the stroke and at impact for consistent putting.
Do You Need a Putter Cover?
Using a putter cover is optional, but there are some potential benefits to having one:
- Protection – A putter cover prevents the shaft and head from getting damaged while carrying your clubs or during transit. This is especially important for soft putter faces.
- Alignment Aid – Many putter covers have lines, arrows or other markings that can help with alignment as you position the putter behind the ball.
- Club Identification – It’s easy to identify your putter with a cover on, which prevents mix-ups if using a rental set or borrowed clubs.
- Aesthetics – Covers come in fun designs, team logos, etc. that allow you to customize the look of your putter.
- Resale Value – Keeping your putter protected with a cover will help it maintain value if looking to sell or trade it in the future.
- Head Security – Tight-fitting covers create a snug fit to keep the putter from falling out of the golf bag.
So while not absolutely essential, a putter cover can be a worthwhile accessory for certain golfers.
Top 3 Mallet Putter Headcovers
The Barudan mallet putter cover offers a stylish way to protect your putter, but is best suited for those willing to pay a little more for appearance and soft padding over maximum practicality and convenience. The fun designs and premium construction come at a cost.
The VIXYN Mallet Putter Cover is a budget-friendly option that offers decent protection for most oversized mallets. While not as plush or fitted as premium covers, it gets the job done for a fraction of the price. Just don’t expect it to be suitable for non-mallet putter shapes.
The Callaway Make It Rain mallet putter cover offers weather protection and a fun graphic while protecting your putter. The premium construction comes at a price, so weigh options if seeking basic protection. But for Callaway fans seeking a coordinated, quality cover, it delivers.